Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Reason I Geocache

This is said best by a newb cacher blog that I recently found: http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2010/02...comment-1904341
Invite me for a hike up Greylock, the state’s highest peak – which happens to be in my backyard – and I’ll find an excuse not to go. Tell me that someone’s hidden something halfway up the mountain, in a location that’s probably hard to get to and give me no encouragement other than a set of GPS coordinates and I’m off, dragging as many unwitting friends as I’m able to ensnare along the way. I’m embarrassed that it takes something as silly and arbitrary as signing my name to a log to get me to lace up my boots, but there it is. I need destinations, goals, and it turns out that they’ll shape my behavior even if they’re extremely silly.

The reason to go caching isn’t the rubber ducks or the opportunity to sign a log. It’s the non-zero possibility that something strange, wonderful and serendipitous will happen enroute. Some of us are inclined to wander without a goal in mind – others need goals that encourage us to wander somewhere we wouldn’t normally stray.


____Exactly what he said is the reason I cache. However, I do not think that I lack goals and I can wander aimlessly, it is just that I am too lazy to do this sort of thing so if I can go find some hidden treasure then the laziness is gone and it is more the excitement to go find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment